Like all businesses, Lockit-safe has had to adapt the way we work to ensure the safety of our staff and customers during the COVID-19 crisis. Where possible we have staff working from home, but as a fabricator and installer, we still need to produce and install our products.
Two projects that have occurred during the lockdown period are:
- The third phase of installations for cycle compounds at schools and businesses on the Isle of Man
- An additional order of 5 cycle compounds needed for the NHS in Ireland at Ards Community Hospital
We pride ourselves on a flexible, ‘can do’ approach so rather than disappoint these two customers we looked for new and safe ways of fabricating and delivering to these off-mainland locations.
This is how we approached it:
- Because we manufacture ourselves we are fortunate in that we carry large stocks of raw materials so we can fabricate new items without the disruption of sourcing materials.
- For items we did not hold in stock, such as concrete, we have a robust network of nationwide suppliers so we’re able to source these materials when required at different locations.
- All fabrication teams were provided with PPE and worked according to social distancing guidelines.
- We were able to use a specialist freight company to collect the items required for the NHS in Ireland and get them shipped across via ferry prior to the lockdown restrictions coming into place
- For our installation teams, we implemented new working patterns that reduced the number of operatives to two per team. Our operatives have remained in the same teams for over 5 weeks and we have ensured they have been in isolated accommodation.
- We have increased levels of PPE for the install engineers in line with Government recommendations and adhere to the working practices advised for the construction industry
Although we are having to find new ways of working, we are still working on the day-to-day business and by changing the way of fabrication and installations teams work, we can continue to meet our client’s deadlines and new business enquiries.